Pages

Saturday 16 April 2011

Week 4 & counting


Well it’s clear that I need to be more diligent with the blog updating.  My intentions were for two updates a week, and I feel like I’m always behind. The training is starting to ramp up reasonably well.  In reality this phase is just about toughening the body up enough to cope with some real training.  That and nursing the sore bits back to a reasonable state. From a starting point of only about 4 hours a week, the next 3 weeks were a good step up averaging about 8 hours.

I had my first swim session with the Red Dog Triathlon Squad today (Friday).  That was quite a wake up call.  Admittedly I have only really got 3 weeks swimming under the belt but swimming with the general public as I have done so far, you sort of think “Gee, not doing too bad here”.  Then jump in with a group who actually can swim and it’s a big blow to the confidence.  It was a great session though and of course you do the work that a normal triathlete would never do of their own volition. Drills, kick, strokes other than freestyle.  Yes, there are actually other strokes.  I believe that Stephen Hawking is working on a theory as to why.  Sure beats me.

So didn't get this post up last night.  Followed on from the Red Dog swim session by joining them for a 110k plus bike ride this morning.  Now the real achievement for me here was that  they set off at 6am from the Valley pool.  So I left home about 5:40.  This is at least 2 hours before my normal very civilised kick off time.  But it was worth it, a great bunch of people to ride with and some impressive stories from experienced ironmen & women. 

Check out the Red Dog story at http://www.reddogtriathlontraining.com

One more day to go in the week and looking to get 9.5 hours for the week.









No comments:

Post a Comment