Pages

Sunday 29 May 2011

One step forward, a stumble back

Following on from the soft week of the last blog the training did pick up well enough in the following week.  The one just passed was less successful again.  I ended up staying over in Melbourne for the weekend with Deb and family flying in.  This precluded any longer rides which is the easy time filler when racking up the weekly hours.  The cooler weather here in Melbourne doesn't help a great deal either.
On the good news front I completed my first run in just over a month tonight. I had succumbed to the Achilles issues that had been troubling me for the last few months.  Rest and some physio guidance seems to have done the trick. As an old time runner the stretching regime required takes some discipline to complete, but generally I have managed to keep to the schedule.  I have never been a big believer but when you have an injury you just have to do as you're told.
And so tonight I managed to run very gently for 20 minutes.  This is probably more than I was supposed to do but it felt very comfortable, and while it did tighten up a little at the end it has eased up nicely.  I would never have thought that running a measly 4k would ever have  been so satisfying.
So now the plan for the next week includes 3 such runs, all short and easy .  Following that a gradual increase will commence.
The Ironman is a big goal and a long way off.  My first interim goal was planned to be the Gold Coast Half Ironman.  Gold Coast Half
This is scheduled for the 3rd of October, so only 4 months away which is why it was important to get the Achilles on the right track.  At the moment the status of the race is uncertain, a course change is trying to be resolved at the moment.  Hopefully this is close to being sorted .  There are all sorts of reasons for that.  To get used to long racing, to trial out the race position on the bike, and just to have something to aim for in the short term.

No comments:

Post a Comment