Pages

Tuesday 14 June 2011

Queensland does have winter

Well since the last post the Queensland winter has decided to arrive.  Winter in Queensland is generally pretty benign and is often the best part of the year.  This year however has seen some pretty cool mornings and some rain also.  Some mornings have got down to around 8 deg Celsius which makes it hard to get out the door in the morning.  When we moved to Queensland 5 years ago I threw out a fair amount of cool weather gear thinking I would no longer need it.  Then again 5 years ago I probably wouldn't have felt it was that cool.

The main positive in my last post was around the comeback to some running training.  Since then the good news has continued, with the pace generally picking up and even better the distances have moved up from around 4k to near 8k.  Still a light workload but it is good to get some consistent running in, and today I completed the first consecutive days running in many many months.  An easy 8k yesterday before hopping on the plane to Melbourne, and today an easy loop of Melbourne's tan track which is just under 5k.  So the stretching and strengthening protocol is doing it's job.  

The weekend of June 4th I had a great solo ride down to the Sofitel Gold Coast where Deb was staying over from a work conference.  I got away about 20 minutes later than I had hoped for but had a great ride down with the typical coastal headwind not yet aroused and managed to tick off the 91 km in just over 3 hours, but the highlight was arriving in time to tuck into the great buffet breakfast that the Sofitel is renowned for.  And then it turned into a beautiful day for walking on the beach. 

On the down side I haven't been recording any GPS data after losing my I Phone, which is really only a nuisance, but on the weekend my Polar heart rate monitor bit the dust, displaying all sorts of hieroglyphics before fading away to nothing .  After talking to the Polar service centre today I am hopeful that all that is needed is a new battery.  Fingers crossed.  So today when I ran I was technologically naked, not even a watch to know how long I ran for.  A very strange feeling indeed.

No comments:

Post a Comment